Blog: George Osborne helps beer campaigners celebrate Budget
James Wilmore | 28 March 2013
A drinks gathering in a London pub this week will have done little to quell the fury of wine and spirits producers, following last week's UK Budget.
None other than the Chancellor himself rocked-up for a pint to help the UK's pub and brewing fraternity celebrate his (or may be David Cameron's?) decision to scrap the duty escalator on beer and offer an extra tax cut.
Photographic evidence here.
With the Wine & Spirit Trade Association still pondering legal action over George Osborne's singling out of beer, and the Scotch Whisky Association branding it an “unfair and incomprehensible blow”, I'm sure this gathering will have gone down like the proverbial metal inflatable with this section of the industry.
Cue bottles of Pinot and single malt Scotch being sent to 11 Downing Street? Possibly.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research