Blog: George Osborne helps beer campaigners celebrate Budget
James Wilmore | 28 March 2013
A drinks gathering in a London pub this week will have done little to quell the fury of wine and spirits producers, following last week's UK Budget.
None other than the Chancellor himself rocked-up for a pint to help the UK's pub and brewing fraternity celebrate his (or may be David Cameron's?) decision to scrap the duty escalator on beer and offer an extra tax cut.
Photographic evidence here.
With the Wine & Spirit Trade Association still pondering legal action over George Osborne's singling out of beer, and the Scotch Whisky Association branding it an “unfair and incomprehensible blow”, I'm sure this gathering will have gone down like the proverbial metal inflatable with this section of the industry.
Cue bottles of Pinot and single malt Scotch being sent to 11 Downing Street? Possibly.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends