Blog: George Osborne helps beer campaigners celebrate Budget
James Wilmore | 28 March 2013
A drinks gathering in a London pub this week will have done little to quell the fury of wine and spirits producers, following last week's UK Budget.
None other than the Chancellor himself rocked-up for a pint to help the UK's pub and brewing fraternity celebrate his (or may be David Cameron's?) decision to scrap the duty escalator on beer and offer an extra tax cut.
Photographic evidence here.
With the Wine & Spirit Trade Association still pondering legal action over George Osborne's singling out of beer, and the Scotch Whisky Association branding it an “unfair and incomprehensible blow”, I'm sure this gathering will have gone down like the proverbial metal inflatable with this section of the industry.
Cue bottles of Pinot and single malt Scotch being sent to 11 Downing Street? Possibly.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer