Blog: France's southern winegrowers vie for award - and respect
Andy Morton | 5 June 2014
Among the bustle of - in my opinion - a rejuvenated London Wine Fair this week was a competition to honour the best wines of France's Languedoc-Roussillon region.
The Sud de France Top 100, now in its second year, is one of the many schemes that help bring to light some of the great products coming out of the wine world these days. But of particular interest with this one is its role in the on-going attempt to overhaul the reputation of Languedoc-Roussillon, once viewed solely as a bulk supplier of wine.
Last year, I visited the vineyards of Languedoc wine cooperative Les Vignobles Foncalieu, where I heard first-hand about efforts to premiumise and grab share of the higher-margin market. It is a process seen by many there as vital if the region's proud heritage as one of France's main wine producers is to be carried on.
This week's competition, overseen by master of wine Tim Atkin and an expert panel, was aimed at continuing that work, with 664 wines vying to make the list. But with premiumisation the watchword of the entire wine industry, France's southern growers will face stiffer competition than each other when it comes to tackling an ever-more competitive market.
For more info on the Sud de France Top 100, click here.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
Vintage Wine Estates has made another winery purchase in California, this time in Napa Valley....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
The Scottish Government has reiterated its preference for the introduction of minimum unit pricing (MUP) on alcohol and has joined drinks organisation's in welcoming today's opinion from the European ...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review