Blog: Foster's Millions
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 August 2003
Everyone but Foster's seems to be voicing an opinion and if the company's boss Ted Kunkel is following the press he will have been bombarded now by countless whys, wheres and hows.
The primary division in opinion though is whether to expand his wine empire or not. If not then the options reduce significantly and we may see the company invest in a share buyback, debt reduction or capital return to shareholders.
But frankly that all seems a bit dull. Quite apart from the selfish reasoning that debt reduction just doesn't make good editorial, I can't get my head round the idea that a company of Foster's international scale and ambition would go to all the trouble of selling off such a significant part of its business not to build a war chest for acquisitions.
And neither does the idea that wine does not represent a good investment cut much sway for me. Certainly the industry is under more pressure now than at any time in the last decade, but its long term potential still remains real. Wine is a long term business - a notion lost on investors and analysts all too often - prone to short term fluctuations in fortune. But I can't imagine too many of BRL Hardy's initial investors complaining about the ROI prospects of a well run wine business.
So just to add to the stream of predictions, my money is sitting on a US wine acquisition, perhaps Brown-Forman's wine division or Kendall-Jackson. The other option is Southcorp, but the Oatley family involvement makes any deal more complicate than either of the above, while the domestic market holds none of the potential of the US.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research