Blog: End of forecasting?
Chris Brook-Carter | 28 October 2003
According to a survey by the Association for Investment Management and Research, nearly 70% of its 1,050 members worldwide said the practice of corporate management providing specific earnings forecasts could lead to "earnings management," or manipulation of financial reports. And 51% said such guidance would increase the volatility of a company's stock.
According to the survey the money managers would prefer corporate executives to provide them with the "general trend and performance information" about their companies so that the investment professionals can draw their own conclusions.
Coca-Cola has already gone down this route and it will be interesting to see if others follow in the post Enron environment, when any suspicion of "earnings management" is likely to have dire consequences.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US