Blog: Easy as abv
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 September 2003
At only £6 a can, at 23% abv and in 300ml cans, they had a point.
Well news fell on the just-drinks desk today of an even stronger beer.
Brewed by the US-based Boston Beer Company, Samuel Adams Utopias, a collection of "extreme beer" come in at 25% abv.
However, these are an altogether different animal and really do add something to the beer category. I remember talking to Stewart Gilliland last year while he was still the head of Interbrew UK about his hopes for a £10 bottled beer brand. Well these retail at an amazing US$100 a bottle. They have been aged for roughly two years in Bourbon, Scotch, Cognac and Port barrels and are packaged in a kettle-shaped, copper-coloured bottles.
These are drinks for the connoisseur and I hope they succeed because they add value and excitement to a category that desperately needs both.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends