Blog: Easy as abv
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 September 2003
At only £6 a can, at 23% abv and in 300ml cans, they had a point.
Well news fell on the just-drinks desk today of an even stronger beer.
Brewed by the US-based Boston Beer Company, Samuel Adams Utopias, a collection of "extreme beer" come in at 25% abv.
However, these are an altogether different animal and really do add something to the beer category. I remember talking to Stewart Gilliland last year while he was still the head of Interbrew UK about his hopes for a £10 bottled beer brand. Well these retail at an amazing US$100 a bottle. They have been aged for roughly two years in Bourbon, Scotch, Cognac and Port barrels and are packaged in a kettle-shaped, copper-coloured bottles.
These are drinks for the connoisseur and I hope they succeed because they add value and excitement to a category that desperately needs both.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014