Blog: Easy as abv
Chris Brook-Carter | 10 September 2003
At only £6 a can, at 23% abv and in 300ml cans, they had a point.
Well news fell on the just-drinks desk today of an even stronger beer.
Brewed by the US-based Boston Beer Company, Samuel Adams Utopias, a collection of "extreme beer" come in at 25% abv.
However, these are an altogether different animal and really do add something to the beer category. I remember talking to Stewart Gilliland last year while he was still the head of Interbrew UK about his hopes for a £10 bottled beer brand. Well these retail at an amazing US$100 a bottle. They have been aged for roughly two years in Bourbon, Scotch, Cognac and Port barrels and are packaged in a kettle-shaped, copper-coloured bottles.
These are drinks for the connoisseur and I hope they succeed because they add value and excitement to a category that desperately needs both.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts