Blog: Driving insane
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 November 2003
The move has come after sales of wine in French restaurants registered a 15% drop following the latest drink-driving campaign by the French authorities. In response, the trade organisation Afivin plans to launch a $350,000 initiative, the purpose of which is to convince motorists that they don't have to stop drinking altogether.
Some of the suggestions made by the national wine producers' association are credible – the idea of supplying restaurants with breathalyser tests in particular. But, in general, this is a misjudged marketing effort.
So wildly do the effects of alcohol vary person-to-person and even day-to-day on the same person that these French campaigners are treading on very dangerous ground suggesting that, even in moderation, it is acceptable to have a drink and get behind a wheel.
"In case of doubt, the easiest way to be sure you don't break the limit is to refrain from drinking," said Transport Ministry spokeswoman Emmanuelle Dormond, quite rightly.
But this case once more highlights the archaic attitude so many French producers have towards selling their wine. From subsidies for over-production to the dismissive nature with which competitors from the New World are viewed, French winemaking still suffers from over-inflated opinion of its own importance.
"People are so afraid of the police these days that they're not drinking any wine at all," said Pascal Bobillier-Monnot, director of France's national wine producers' association, as if this is in some way a bad thing for anyone using France's roads.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends