Blog: Does A-B InBev have a different goal for Grupo Modelo?
Andy Morton | 12 August 2013
Anheuser-Busch InBev has sold the stake in Mexican football team Santos Laguna that it inherited through its US$20.1bn acquisition of Grupo Modelo.
Grupo Modelo's new CEO Ricardo Tadeu, who was promoted from within A-B InBev when the company bought Modelo in June, said the sale of Santos Laguna will allow Modelo to “focus on what it does best - brewing excellent beers”.
It was a slightly surprising move however as who only last month Modelo upped the number of football teams in Mexico it sponsors through its lager brand Corona.
The real reason may well be Tadeu's strident cost-cutting measures that, according to his interview with CNN's Spanish-language business site late last month, will see Modelo shed 4,000 jobs (out of 40,000) and slash expenditure by US$1bn, all within four years.
Looks like A-B InBev's takeover means it is a whole different ball game for Modelo.
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
On 9 May, Diageo is hosting its latest Capital Markets Day for analysts and investors, in London. Ahead of the group's presentations, Anthony Bucalo, global beverages analyst at HSBC, has prepared a l...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Remy signs new three-year Russia deal with Roust
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report