Blog: Does A-B InBev have a different goal for Grupo Modelo?
Andy Morton | 12 August 2013
Anheuser-Busch InBev has sold the stake in Mexican football team Santos Laguna that it inherited through its US$20.1bn acquisition of Grupo Modelo.
Grupo Modelo's new CEO Ricardo Tadeu, who was promoted from within A-B InBev when the company bought Modelo in June, said the sale of Santos Laguna will allow Modelo to “focus on what it does best - brewing excellent beers”.
It was a slightly surprising move however as who only last month Modelo upped the number of football teams in Mexico it sponsors through its lager brand Corona.
The real reason may well be Tadeu's strident cost-cutting measures that, according to his interview with CNN's Spanish-language business site late last month, will see Modelo shed 4,000 jobs (out of 40,000) and slash expenditure by US$1bn, all within four years.
Looks like A-B InBev's takeover means it is a whole different ball game for Modelo.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Diageo has harnessed the star power of its link-up with upcoming Hollywood movie Entourage to launch a new responsible drinking ad....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review