Blog: Does A-B InBev have a different goal for Grupo Modelo?
Andy Morton | 12 August 2013
Anheuser-Busch InBev has sold the stake in Mexican football team Santos Laguna that it inherited through its US$20.1bn acquisition of Grupo Modelo.
Grupo Modelo's new CEO Ricardo Tadeu, who was promoted from within A-B InBev when the company bought Modelo in June, said the sale of Santos Laguna will allow Modelo to “focus on what it does best - brewing excellent beers”.
It was a slightly surprising move however as who only last month Modelo upped the number of football teams in Mexico it sponsors through its lager brand Corona.
The real reason may well be Tadeu's strident cost-cutting measures that, according to his interview with CNN's Spanish-language business site late last month, will see Modelo shed 4,000 jobs (out of 40,000) and slash expenditure by US$1bn, all within four years.
Looks like A-B InBev's takeover means it is a whole different ball game for Modelo.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
Casella Family Brands has launched a beer extension of its Yellow Tail wine brand in the US, according to reports. ...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research