Blog: Diageo's Bell's whisky ad proves industry is a soft touch
Andy Morton | 7 February 2014
It seems to me that ads for alcohol used to fall into two categories - funny or cool.
Nowadays, our marketing men are branching out into a third option - touchie-feelie. Last week's Super Bowl provided us with more than a few cry-fests (and an adorable puppy). And now Diageo's Bell's whisky brand practically pokes us in the tear-ducts with its South African commercial that shows an illiterate man desperate to read a particular book.
After the Super Bowl, a marketing professor told Reuters: “We are seeing companies talk about more inspirational topics.”
For inspiring, read emotional. So, will 2014 be the year of the advertising weepies? Well, put it like this - the Bell's ad already has half-a-million views just a week out from its launch.
That's pretty impressive for a single-market commercial.
Hankies at the ready, everyone.
In the US, carbonated water has become a non-alcoholic beverage star, as consumers choose sparkling waters and seltzers instead of carbonated soft drinks to cut calorie and sugar consumption. The same...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers division has added a new expression to its Scapa single malt Scotch whisky portfolio....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends