Blog: Diageo saddles up White Horse for serendipitous Scotch ride
Andy Morton | 22 November 2013
One would never accuse Diageo of missing a trick, and the launch this week of a limited-edition expression from one of its lesser-known blended Scotch labels shows why.
White Horse may have been the preferred whisky of Jackie Gleason's legendary pool shark Fats Minnesota in “The Hustler” (thanks, Wikipedia), but it doesn't quite have the profile of other Diageo blended drams we could mention, especially in Asia.
Nevertheless, next year is the Year of the Horse in the Chinese lunar calendar, and some canny operator in the Diageo marketing team must have been wise to White Horse's auspicious potential. Before you can say “Asian whisky boom”, out pops White Horse Gold Edition 1890, soon to be available in Asia-Pacific Travel Retail, ready for a serendipitous sales bump from travelling Chinese consumers.
If the ploy works, soon all the other whisky makers will be digging through their portfolios in search of horse-related brands, not to mention sheep, cow, snake, tiger, rat, dragon, monkey...
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
This week, we speak to the CEO of Zodiac Spirits, and just-drinks subscriber, Dan Liguori....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
Here's a look at what was happening on this day in......
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research