Blog: Courting lunacy
Chris Brook-Carter | 30 October 2003
But before we do, if you needed any further evidence that the litigation culture is here to stay - and a very real threat to drinks businesses the world over - then it is worth checking out this week’s Australian press.
Among the clippings you’ll find news that a man has been trying to sue the beer company Tooheys ltd after hurting his wrist trying to open a bottle of Tooheys' Extra Dry.
Restaurateur Louis Neil Franklin Miller claims he suffered a permanent injury to his left wrist while trying to crack open a cold one having just finished a game of tennis.
I am glad to say that he failed, with the judge ruling that while he was satisfied Mr Miller injured his wrist trying to open the bottle, he would not award him any damages. This was because Miller admitted using excessive force to open the bottle, when he could have used a cloth or bottle opener, which were both readily available to him.
However, the very fact he got this far says something about the culture we are living in. The response to next week’s article, as well as its advice should you get caught up in a litigation case should be interesting.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India