Blog: Champagne instead of anti-depressants?
James Wilmore | 5 June 2014
The alcohol industry can sometimes skirt around the reason why people choose to drink.
For many, of course, it’s a way to relax and enjoy yourself with friends. But not everyone in the industry is so reticent about speaking out about the positive aspects of imbibing.
Indeed, Clovis Taittinger, part of the Champagne house’s family empire, thinks the problem of depression could be solved in his native country, if he was in charge. “If I was a politician I would happily put Champagne in all pharmacies... instead of anti-depressant pills,” he cheekily told me during this week’s London Wine Fair.
“Champagne is a magical wine,” he added.
Hmm, how would the health lobby feel about that proposal?
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Centre Vinicole - Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte has announced record volume sales in 2014 as well as a rise in full-year operating profits and sales against a backdrop of continued economic uncertainty...
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review