Blog: Champagne instead of anti-depressants?
James Wilmore | 5 June 2014
The alcohol industry can sometimes skirt around the reason why people choose to drink.
For many, of course, it’s a way to relax and enjoy yourself with friends. But not everyone in the industry is so reticent about speaking out about the positive aspects of imbibing.
Indeed, Clovis Taittinger, part of the Champagne house’s family empire, thinks the problem of depression could be solved in his native country, if he was in charge. “If I was a politician I would happily put Champagne in all pharmacies... instead of anti-depressant pills,” he cheekily told me during this week’s London Wine Fair.
“Champagne is a magical wine,” he added.
Hmm, how would the health lobby feel about that proposal?
Australian Vintage has launched a Malbec in the UK under its Black Label brand. ...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends