Blog: Champagne instead of anti-depressants?
James Wilmore | 5 June 2014
The alcohol industry can sometimes skirt around the reason why people choose to drink.
For many, of course, it’s a way to relax and enjoy yourself with friends. But not everyone in the industry is so reticent about speaking out about the positive aspects of imbibing.
Indeed, Clovis Taittinger, part of the Champagne house’s family empire, thinks the problem of depression could be solved in his native country, if he was in charge. “If I was a politician I would happily put Champagne in all pharmacies... instead of anti-depressant pills,” he cheekily told me during this week’s London Wine Fair.
“Champagne is a magical wine,” he added.
Hmm, how would the health lobby feel about that proposal?
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?