Blog: Cameron's Smirnoff quip: A good idea?
James Wilmore | 2 October 2013
UK Prime Minister David Cameron used Diageo's Smirnoff brand as a weapon for a spot of political retaliation during his speech at the Conservative Party conference today (2 October).
In a counter-dig at a Russian official's reported “small island” comment about Britain last month, Cameron bragged that the world's biggest-selling vodka - Smirnoff - is actually produced in the UK. In Fife, Scotland, to be precise.
One wonders, however, how Diageo's bigwigs feel about Cameron highlighting this fact? Does the average consumer know that Smirnoff is made in Fife? Does s/he perhaps think of it as a Russian brand? (Interestingly, it was originally created in a Moscow distillery in the 1860s).
Hugo Rifkind, a journalist for The Times, tweeted during the speech: “Suspect Smirnoff won't be too thrilled by that.” Other tweeters expressed surprise at discovering the production home of the vodka brand.
Might former CEO Paul Walsh, who is still involved with Diageo, and was, until last year, part of the Government's Business Advisory Group, be having a word with Cameron?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research