Blog: Cameron's Smirnoff quip: A good idea?
James Wilmore | 2 October 2013
UK Prime Minister David Cameron used Diageo's Smirnoff brand as a weapon for a spot of political retaliation during his speech at the Conservative Party conference today (2 October).
In a counter-dig at a Russian official's reported “small island” comment about Britain last month, Cameron bragged that the world's biggest-selling vodka - Smirnoff - is actually produced in the UK. In Fife, Scotland, to be precise.
One wonders, however, how Diageo's bigwigs feel about Cameron highlighting this fact? Does the average consumer know that Smirnoff is made in Fife? Does s/he perhaps think of it as a Russian brand? (Interestingly, it was originally created in a Moscow distillery in the 1860s).
Hugo Rifkind, a journalist for The Times, tweeted during the speech: “Suspect Smirnoff won't be too thrilled by that.” Other tweeters expressed surprise at discovering the production home of the vodka brand.
Might former CEO Paul Walsh, who is still involved with Diageo, and was, until last year, part of the Government's Business Advisory Group, be having a word with Cameron?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report