Blog: Bowmore a smash hit in royal ship launch
Andy Morton | 4 July 2014
Part of a sainted tradition or a waste of a perfectly good whisky?
That was the question some may have been asking when Queen Elizabeth II launched the Royal Navy's newest vessel in Scotland earlier today (4 July). The Queen Elizabeth, the first of two ships named after the UK's reigning monarch, was christened on the banks of the River Forth with the ceremonial smashing of a bottle of alcohol. Except, because of the location, the usual Champagne was switched to a GBP33 (US$56) bottle of Bowmore, owned by Suntory subsidiary Morrison Bowmore.
The choice of dram was particularly apt, as the Queen's only visit thus far to a whisky distillery was to Bowmore's Islay home in 1980, something which Morrison Bowmore was keen to recall.
Distillery head Mike Keiller said: “We wouldn’t generally recommend smashing a bottle of Bowmore, but given our special relationship with Her Majesty, we were delighted to make an exception on this occasion.”
It's not the first time this year the UK's royals have been photographed near a whisky bottle. In May, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took their son George to Edrington's Glenturret distillery in Perthshire.
The Roust Group has unveiled new packaging for its Zubrówka vodka brand that uses a 3D window effect to improve shelf standout....
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
UK spirits importer Proof Drinks has teamed up with retailer Amathus Drinks to launch Mexican spirit Estancia Raicilla in the country,...
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- Sapporo’s Sapporo Premium Black - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages