Blog: Bowmore a smash hit in royal ship launch
Andy Morton | 4 July 2014
Part of a sainted tradition or a waste of a perfectly good whisky?
That was the question some may have been asking when Queen Elizabeth II launched the Royal Navy's newest vessel in Scotland earlier today (4 July). The Queen Elizabeth, the first of two ships named after the UK's reigning monarch, was christened on the banks of the River Forth with the ceremonial smashing of a bottle of alcohol. Except, because of the location, the usual Champagne was switched to a GBP33 (US$56) bottle of Bowmore, owned by Suntory subsidiary Morrison Bowmore.
The choice of dram was particularly apt, as the Queen's only visit thus far to a whisky distillery was to Bowmore's Islay home in 1980, something which Morrison Bowmore was keen to recall.
Distillery head Mike Keiller said: “We wouldn’t generally recommend smashing a bottle of Bowmore, but given our special relationship with Her Majesty, we were delighted to make an exception on this occasion.”
It's not the first time this year the UK's royals have been photographed near a whisky bottle. In May, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took their son George to Edrington's Glenturret distillery in Perthshire.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US