Blog: Bowmore a smash hit in royal ship launch
Andy Morton | 4 July 2014
Part of a sainted tradition or a waste of a perfectly good whisky?
That was the question some may have been asking when Queen Elizabeth II launched the Royal Navy's newest vessel in Scotland earlier today (4 July). The Queen Elizabeth, the first of two ships named after the UK's reigning monarch, was christened on the banks of the River Forth with the ceremonial smashing of a bottle of alcohol. Except, because of the location, the usual Champagne was switched to a GBP33 (US$56) bottle of Bowmore, owned by Suntory subsidiary Morrison Bowmore.
The choice of dram was particularly apt, as the Queen's only visit thus far to a whisky distillery was to Bowmore's Islay home in 1980, something which Morrison Bowmore was keen to recall.
Distillery head Mike Keiller said: “We wouldn’t generally recommend smashing a bottle of Bowmore, but given our special relationship with Her Majesty, we were delighted to make an exception on this occasion.”
It's not the first time this year the UK's royals have been photographed near a whisky bottle. In May, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took their son George to Edrington's Glenturret distillery in Perthshire.
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
California's Sierra Nevada Brewing Co is very proud of its new Hop Hunter IPA, which contains hop oil. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report