Blog: Beam Inc risks wrong end of stick with bee poke
Andy Morton | 19 August 2013
Beam Inc has taken what could be described as an unusual approach to one of the most pressing environmental concerns of the day.
While other companies that depend on honey as a raw material treat the worrying decline in bee numbers with seriousness, Beam, which makes Jim Beam Honey, has instead decided to poke fun at the issue.
Beam said yesterday (19 August): “Jim Beam Honey has hired legendary 'Seinfeld' attorney, Jackie Chiles, to sue honey's other biggest fan - the bears. That's right - it's time for bears to cease and desist from their rampant honey theft.”
Anything that brings back the fantastic Jackie Chiles - based on OJ Simpson lawyer Johnnie Cochran - can't be all bad, and Beam has promised to donate US$100 for every tweet that uses the hashtag #suethebears (up to $25,000).
But is this “frivolous fight”, as Beam itself describes it, the right tone to strike with serious global issues? Would Beam do the same with water poverty? As Jackie Chiles might say, it's egregious, preposterous, ridiculous. And not a little bit strange.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits