Blog: Beam Inc risks wrong end of stick with bee poke
Andy Morton | 19 August 2013
Beam Inc has taken what could be described as an unusual approach to one of the most pressing environmental concerns of the day.
While other companies that depend on honey as a raw material treat the worrying decline in bee numbers with seriousness, Beam, which makes Jim Beam Honey, has instead decided to poke fun at the issue.
Beam said yesterday (19 August): “Jim Beam Honey has hired legendary 'Seinfeld' attorney, Jackie Chiles, to sue honey's other biggest fan - the bears. That's right - it's time for bears to cease and desist from their rampant honey theft.”
Anything that brings back the fantastic Jackie Chiles - based on OJ Simpson lawyer Johnnie Cochran - can't be all bad, and Beam has promised to donate US$100 for every tweet that uses the hashtag #suethebears (up to $25,000).
But is this “frivolous fight”, as Beam itself describes it, the right tone to strike with serious global issues? Would Beam do the same with water poverty? As Jackie Chiles might say, it's egregious, preposterous, ridiculous. And not a little bit strange.
This week, we speak to the founder of wine and spirits management consultancy Artisan Source, and just-drinks subscriber, Martin Jones....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014