Blog: Beam Inc risks wrong end of stick with bee poke
Andy Morton | 19 August 2013
Beam Inc has taken what could be described as an unusual approach to one of the most pressing environmental concerns of the day.
While other companies that depend on honey as a raw material treat the worrying decline in bee numbers with seriousness, Beam, which makes Jim Beam Honey, has instead decided to poke fun at the issue.
Beam said yesterday (19 August): “Jim Beam Honey has hired legendary 'Seinfeld' attorney, Jackie Chiles, to sue honey's other biggest fan - the bears. That's right - it's time for bears to cease and desist from their rampant honey theft.”
Anything that brings back the fantastic Jackie Chiles - based on OJ Simpson lawyer Johnnie Cochran - can't be all bad, and Beam has promised to donate US$100 for every tweet that uses the hashtag #suethebears (up to $25,000).
But is this “frivolous fight”, as Beam itself describes it, the right tone to strike with serious global issues? Would Beam do the same with water poverty? As Jackie Chiles might say, it's egregious, preposterous, ridiculous. And not a little bit strange.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Earlier this year, Pernod Ricard outlined plans to shift the "heart" of its business from its brands to its consumers. Speaking at his first of the company's annual Capital Markets Day briefings, new ...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research