Blog: Beam Inc risks wrong end of stick with bee poke
Andy Morton | 19 August 2013
Beam Inc has taken what could be described as an unusual approach to one of the most pressing environmental concerns of the day.
While other companies that depend on honey as a raw material treat the worrying decline in bee numbers with seriousness, Beam, which makes Jim Beam Honey, has instead decided to poke fun at the issue.
Beam said yesterday (19 August): “Jim Beam Honey has hired legendary 'Seinfeld' attorney, Jackie Chiles, to sue honey's other biggest fan - the bears. That's right - it's time for bears to cease and desist from their rampant honey theft.”
Anything that brings back the fantastic Jackie Chiles - based on OJ Simpson lawyer Johnnie Cochran - can't be all bad, and Beam has promised to donate US$100 for every tweet that uses the hashtag #suethebears (up to $25,000).
But is this “frivolous fight”, as Beam itself describes it, the right tone to strike with serious global issues? Would Beam do the same with water poverty? As Jackie Chiles might say, it's egregious, preposterous, ridiculous. And not a little bit strange.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
Diageo has launched a Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky ad in partnership with a new movie based on the US TV show Entourage....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- PepsiCo US to replace aspartame in Diet Pepsi
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets