Blog: A rare old time at the LIWF
Andy Morton | 25 May 2012
Another year, another wine fair. Isn't that what you're supposed to say? Except this was my first LIWF, and there's no jaundiced-eyed view here - I had a rare old time.
My colleague Chris Mercer wrote a far more involved summary of the show, which you can read here, discussing whether it is still worth holding. But for this first-timer, an annual get together where you meet face-to-face with people that more often than not you only speak to on the phone, or through a keyboard, is surely worth keeping.
Plus, it's a lot of fun, something that was abundantly clear yesterday afternoon as chucking-out time approached and everyone unloosened collars and ties.
Old-school journalists used the euphemism “tired and emotional”, by the end there were a few visitors doggedly pinballing from stand to stand. One happy chap even presented the just-drinks booth with a fine bottle of Riesling. Meanwhile, the press tent was under attack from someone who kept evading staff to scoff the area's free biscuits.
The wine fair, though, is much more than a chance to steal snacks from hard-working journalists. As Chris points out in his article, it offers the opportunity for the wine industry to learn from each other. The seminars and masterclasses can give back so much, and where else can you sample wine from India or Greece or other new emerging wine markets?
My only disappointment was I didn't get a chance to wander the floor as much as I had hoped, which is the great treat of shows like LIWF. So don't call time on it yet - I want to go back next year.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review