Blog: A rare old time at the LIWF
Andy Morton | 25 May 2012
Another year, another wine fair. Isn't that what you're supposed to say? Except this was my first LIWF, and there's no jaundiced-eyed view here - I had a rare old time.
My colleague Chris Mercer wrote a far more involved summary of the show, which you can read here, discussing whether it is still worth holding. But for this first-timer, an annual get together where you meet face-to-face with people that more often than not you only speak to on the phone, or through a keyboard, is surely worth keeping.
Plus, it's a lot of fun, something that was abundantly clear yesterday afternoon as chucking-out time approached and everyone unloosened collars and ties.
Old-school journalists used the euphemism “tired and emotional”, by the end there were a few visitors doggedly pinballing from stand to stand. One happy chap even presented the just-drinks booth with a fine bottle of Riesling. Meanwhile, the press tent was under attack from someone who kept evading staff to scoff the area's free biscuits.
The wine fair, though, is much more than a chance to steal snacks from hard-working journalists. As Chris points out in his article, it offers the opportunity for the wine industry to learn from each other. The seminars and masterclasses can give back so much, and where else can you sample wine from India or Greece or other new emerging wine markets?
My only disappointment was I didn't get a chance to wander the floor as much as I had hoped, which is the great treat of shows like LIWF. So don't call time on it yet - I want to go back next year.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research