Blog: A happy Christmas?
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
Welcome back after the Christmas and New Year break. I hope it was a good one. Certainly, the first signs trickling in from the trade indicate that, as an industry, it was.
In the UK, merchant Majestic Wines today reported a rise in sales over the Christmas period of 7.4%. Meanwhile in the US, Jim Clerkin, president of Allied Domecq Wines & Spirits USA, while speaking on CNBC, reported good growth since Thanksgiving. And he estimated that sales would be up 3 and 5% over the festivities.
A successful Christmas would cap a surprisingly good year after a difficult economic start to 2003, compounded by war and SARS. A full review of the drinks industry from Cola to Cointreau can be found in the most recent Feature of the Week. And full predicitons for 2004 in our latest management briefing.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020