Blog: A happy Christmas?
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
Welcome back after the Christmas and New Year break. I hope it was a good one. Certainly, the first signs trickling in from the trade indicate that, as an industry, it was.
In the UK, merchant Majestic Wines today reported a rise in sales over the Christmas period of 7.4%. Meanwhile in the US, Jim Clerkin, president of Allied Domecq Wines & Spirits USA, while speaking on CNBC, reported good growth since Thanksgiving. And he estimated that sales would be up 3 and 5% over the festivities.
A successful Christmas would cap a surprisingly good year after a difficult economic start to 2003, compounded by war and SARS. A full review of the drinks industry from Cola to Cointreau can be found in the most recent Feature of the Week. And full predicitons for 2004 in our latest management briefing.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review