Blog: A happy Christmas?
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
Welcome back after the Christmas and New Year break. I hope it was a good one. Certainly, the first signs trickling in from the trade indicate that, as an industry, it was.
In the UK, merchant Majestic Wines today reported a rise in sales over the Christmas period of 7.4%. Meanwhile in the US, Jim Clerkin, president of Allied Domecq Wines & Spirits USA, while speaking on CNBC, reported good growth since Thanksgiving. And he estimated that sales would be up 3 and 5% over the festivities.
A successful Christmas would cap a surprisingly good year after a difficult economic start to 2003, compounded by war and SARS. A full review of the drinks industry from Cola to Cointreau can be found in the most recent Feature of the Week. And full predicitons for 2004 in our latest management briefing.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends