Blog: A happy Christmas?
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
Welcome back after the Christmas and New Year break. I hope it was a good one. Certainly, the first signs trickling in from the trade indicate that, as an industry, it was.
In the UK, merchant Majestic Wines today reported a rise in sales over the Christmas period of 7.4%. Meanwhile in the US, Jim Clerkin, president of Allied Domecq Wines & Spirits USA, while speaking on CNBC, reported good growth since Thanksgiving. And he estimated that sales would be up 3 and 5% over the festivities.
A successful Christmas would cap a surprisingly good year after a difficult economic start to 2003, compounded by war and SARS. A full review of the drinks industry from Cola to Cointreau can be found in the most recent Feature of the Week. And full predicitons for 2004 in our latest management briefing.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Diageo silent on United Spirits inspection
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review