United States: Latest beverage news & analysis
Data provider Nielsen has teamed up with on-trade consultants CGA to launch its first consumer sentiment survey on the US on-trade market. The report continues Nielsen's new focus on the out-of-home channel, which can be difficult to get accurate information on. Last month, the company launched a report that compared the US on-trade to the UK's, while the latest focusses on how the public views the major bar-and-restaurant alcohol brands. Here's a snapshot of the report's findings:
Morgan Stanley last week released a report based on a survey of US wholesalers that found increased confidence is the country's spirits market. The financial firm said the report, its first to directly survey wholesalers, is more forward-looking that traditional channel data and attempts to "identify key trends before they appear in Nielsen data and sell-side forecasts". The survey also quizzed wholesalers on future category performance. Here's a run-down of the key findings.
On Thursday, two US senators sent a letter to the Department of Justice highlighting their concerns over Anheuser-Busch InBev's proposed purchase of SABMiller.
Late last week, Boston Beer Co turned in a disappointing set of first-quarter numbers. Net profits plummeted 49% while sales and volumes in the three months to the end of March were down 5%.
Following the release of its full-year results yesterday, Remy Cointreau's CFO has thrown down the gauntlet to other Cognac producers operating in the US.
The Coca-Cola Co has joined an increasingly crowded trend for patriotic packaging in the US with a salute to the country's military.
Beam Suntory has expanded the launch of Canadian Club 100% Rye to the US as it targets "significant" growth in the rye whisky category.
Small Town Brewery has launched a second extension to its successful Not Your Father's Root Beer brand.
US hemp company Kona Gold Solutions has said it will release a hemp energy drink in the third quarter of this year.
A new US government study that shows soda consumption among young people falling dramatically over the past two years is a warning for the industry, an analyst has said.
Diageo has followed in Anheuser-Busch InBev's footsteps with the launch of the "patriotic" Smirnoff Red, White & Berry vodka in the US.
Bacardi has released two new flavours for its namesake rum brand.
Constellation Brands has confirmed plans is to build an east-coast brewery for its Californian craft beer unit, Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits.
California's Opus One winery is set to overhaul its ageing facilities and visitor services, following consent to expand its operations.
Kombucha producer Búcha has said its merger with RTD Xingtea owner New Age Beverages Group will create a functional drinks maker capable of competing with the giants of soft drinks.
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors.
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures.
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor.
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- How has craft beer put the squeeze on world beers?
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Heineken signs JV deal in Philippines
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends