United Kingdom: Latest beverage news & analysis
This month, William Grant & Sons launched its annual UK market report. Here, just-drinks looks at the report's findings on the UK's main spirits categories.
Last month, UK producer Seedlip launched the second expression in its range of self-described "non-alcoholic spirits". Seedlip Garden follows the launch in November of the original Seedlip, which sold out three times in high-end London retailer Selfridges and has caught the attention of bartenders with its positioning as an adult-aimed, non-alcoholic base for cocktails. Seedlip founder Ben Branson says the spirit - a distillation of botanicals including herbs, fruit and bark - is a riposte to non-alcoholic drinks that depend too heavily on sugary fruit blends, and offers a solution to the problem of "what to drink when you're not drinking". just-drinks spoke to Branson ahead of the launch of Seedlip Garden about his early successes, interest from Bahraini royalty and why the industry needs to get on-board the non-alcoholic category.
The markets have had the weekend to digest the possible implications of the UK's decision to leave the EU. Here is a summation of what the analysts are saying about UK-listed beverage companies, and those that have an interest in the UK consumer.
It was 1997 and Anders Nanne knew Rekorderlig had hit the big time. The co-creator of the Swedish cider was driving out of Gothenburg airport and saw an empty Rekordelig can in a small wood. "When you see it as garbage, that's when you know it's a big brand."
The concept of selling wine online may not be a new one but, as more companies look towards 'home-trade' and the likes of Amazon and eBay enter the market, established players need to stay ahead of the game. Virgin Wines CEO Jay Wright tells just-drinks how his firm looks to grow it relevance in an increasingly-crowded market place.
Beam Suntory is to place a Japanese-style telephone booth outside Asda supermarkets as it extends an experiential marketing campaign for Midori melon liqueur to the UK.
UK soft drinks producer Nichols has forecast another solid six months after first-half results saw sales and profits climb.
Britvic has posted a drop in nine-month underlying sales as still soft drinks in the UK continued to underperform.
William Grant & Sons has refused to rule out a first extension for its Hendrick's Gin brand.
Diageo has started formal consultations with staff over pension plan changes that will affect one-third of its UK workforce.
UK drinks company Halewood Wines & Spirits has launched a range of "fresh and simple" wines called Surprisingly Good.
UK food courier service Deliveroo is promising to deliver alcohol to UK homes within 20 minutes in a link up with Brewdog and off-premise companies including Majestic Wines.
UK drinks group Conviviality has reported a triple-digit sales boost for its full year, following the integration of wholesale firm Matthew Clark.
A new trade body for craft spirits producers has been established in the UK in a bid to promote the interests of artisanal distillers.
The trade association for New Zealand’s wine industry has launched a competition for independent off-trade outlets in the UK to promote Pinot Noir wines from the country.
The rules have changed. The goal posts have... gone?
Coca-Cola Enterprises CEO John Brock came out fighting against the UK government's proposed sugar tax, saying he doesn't think it will pass unchanged.
Women don't get drunk - and certainly not on Heineken.
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends