South Africa: Latest beverage news & analysis
Trade show opening speeches are rarely roof-raisers and Cape Wine 2015's today was true to form. However, Siobhan Thompson's welcome address did contain one particular point of interest.
Last week, the South African government put up for public discussion proposed changes to the country's alcohol regulations. The 36-page Liquor Policy Review has caused a few ripples as it contends not only that alcohol producers and retailers should be made liable for drink-related damage to consumers but that the minimum drinking age should be increased from 18 to 21.
Earlier today, Diageo confirmed plans to take full control of UB Group's United National Breweries. The Guinness producer will pay an initial US$22m for the 50% of the sorghum beer producer it does not already own. Here's some facts on United National Breweries:
Earlier this year, South African multi-category drinks producer Distell set up a unit specifically for its higher-end wine portfolio. The CEO of Distell Vineyards & Estates, Carina Gous, spoke to just-drinks earlier this year about the new division, its plans abroad and the prospects for the broader South African wine category going forward.
Craft brewers and big beer firms may be on opposite sides of the trenches in the US, but the situation appears to be a little different in South Africa.
Anheuser-Busch InBev is offering voluntary redundancy to management in South Africa as it looks to restructure operations in the country following its takeover of SABMiller.
Four wineries in South Africa’s Western Cape have been damaged by fires in the region, with a fifth, in Paarl, being "practically burnt to the ground".
California’s Hess Family Wine Estates has sold its South African winery Glen Carlou for an undisclosed sum.
Anheuser-Busch InBev has completed its SABMiller asset divestment programme in time for Christmas, offloading its near-30% stake in Distell today.
Anheuser-Busch InBev is in line to end its first year on the Johannesburg stock exchange well down on its debut price, according to a report.
South Africa’s wine industry has moved to defend itself from accusations of employee abuse made in a Danish documentary.
Distell has released a 15-year-old whisky finished in South Africa's Pinotage wine casks. Three Ships 15 Year Old Pinotage Cask Finish is limited to 4,000 bottles, 3,500 of which will be available to purchase.
South African conglomerate Remgro has said it is considering a move for SABMiller's stake in wine and spirits group Distell.
Heineken has launched its Sol Mexican lager brand in South Africa as it prepares to lock horns with the incoming Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Coca-Cola Beverages Africa has expressed concerns over meeting merger conditions, should South Africa implement its current sugar tax plan.
The stand for Swartland Independent Producers sits in the far back corner of the Cape Wine exhibition hall, but its influence can be felt across the show floor.
Today is the opening day at Cape Wine 2015 and that means the morning was taken up by welcome speeches.
just-drinks is in South Africa for the Cape Wine exhibition this week, courtesy of Wines of South Africa (WOSA).
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends