Russian Federation: Latest beverage news & analysis
That Russia's beer market has turned from a roaring bear into a whimpering bunny is not news any more. The country's economic downturn, coupled with government action against alcohol retailing and advertising, has been the norm for the better part of around three years now.
Carlsberg's CFO has said the company is “a little more negative” on Russia's consumers after continued problems in the country forced a full-year forecast downgrade.
The CFO of Brown-Forman has offered hope to Russia's alcohol market, claiming that the company is "doing pretty well" in the challenging country.
That, in just the space of two days, Carlsberg has announced both a pay freeze and the closure of two Russian breweries, speaks volumes about the seriousness of the situation in its Eastern European stronghold.
It was more of the same for Carlsberg in its YTD results release yesterday as weakness in Eastern Europe continued to damage the bottom line.
Whisk(e)y imports to Russia dropped by almost a quarter last year as alcohol shipments posted record declines in the struggling market, according to local reports.
Russian Standard owner Roust is to take over Russian distribution and marketing of Les Grands Chais de France's JP Chenet wine brands.
Russia is to destroy seized illegal alcohol in a bid to stamp out a growing counterfeit market, a report has said.
Diageo has signed a distribution agreement in Russia with Alcohol Siberian Group for its J&B Scotch whisky brand.
Brewers in Russia are to scrap their 1.5-litre PET bottle lines despite warning the move will drive consumers to illegal alcohol.
Roust Inc, the owner of Russian Standard vodka, is to take over distribution of Casa Cuervo's Bushmills Irish Whiskey in Russia.
Authorities in Moscow are to ban alcoholic energy drinks in the city, according to local reports.
PepsiCo has confirmed it is to shut one of its fruit juice plants in Russia.
Russia has lowered its minimum vodka price by 16% as the country battles currency deflation and a falling global oil price, according to reports.
Carlsberg is to close two of its ten Russian breweries with the loss of up to 600 jobs.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced.
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research