Nigeria: Latest beverage news & analysis
This month, Ray Rowlands sets his sights on the recently-announced Nigerian venture between The Coca-Cola Co and the Tropical General Investments (TGI) Group.
Earlier today, Heineken confirmed that a plan to merge two of its Nigerian units - Nigerian Breweries and Consolidated Breweries - remains on tracks. Minority shareholders in both firms have voted in favour of the deal.
We'd almost packed up for the week on Friday when Heineken announced plans to merge the two Nigerian breweries in which it has majority stakes.
Nigeria proved a welcome ray of light for Heineken in its first-quarter results yesterday (24 April).
A doubling of finance costs linked to the devaluation of the Naira has dragged down nine-month profits for Heineken-controlled Nigerian Breweries.
Diageo-controlled Guinness Nigeria has reported a loss for its most recent fiscal year as macro-economic headwinds continue to hamper performance.
Suntory will pay about JPY7bn (US$68.8m) for GlaxoSmithKline's remaining Lucozade and Ribena assets in Nigeria.
The drinks industry appears to be holding its breath as the Central Bank of Nigeria plans to float the Naira currency from 20 June.
GlaxoSmithKline Nigeria's board of directors has accepted Suntory's offer to buy the remaining Lucozade Ribena business in the country.
Coca-Cola HBC has said it will launch the Monster energy brand in Nigeria during the second half of the year.
Diageo-controlled Guinness Nigeria has reported a slump in year-to-date sales and profits as the country's economy continues to slow.
Diageo has launched Guinness Africa Special - its first Guinness innovation in Nigeria for 10 years.
Heineken is keeping an eye on Nigeria as currency turmoil makes it harder for the company to get money out of the country.
Suntory's beverage unit is trying to complete its global takeover of Lucozade and Ribena with a swoop for the brands' leftover bottling and distribution rights in Nigeria.
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Cognac set for future growth - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine market in UK