Ireland: Latest beverage news & analysis
In our coverage of the legal ruling in favour of Irish whiskey brand The Wild Geese in Australia yesterday, I sensed a conspiracy theory of pretty impressive proportions. Could the dominant player in the Irish whiskey sector really have been looking to ride roughshod over one of its much smaller competitors?
Late yesterday, Pernod Ricard confirmed that it has opened discussions with Sazerac with a view to selling its Paddy Irish whiskey brand. Here's a look at Paddy and its position in the Irish whiskey category and Pernod's portfolio.
It is late afternoon on what has been a long day. But, Mark Reynier, formerly the head of Bruichladdich and now founder of Renegade Spirits, still has the energy to vent his grievances over the Irish whiskey industry he has inhabited for just over a year.
C&C Group will announce its half-year and second-quarter results on Wednesday. Here, just-drinks looks at the drinks producer's activities in the three months to the end of August:
At the official ground-breaking ceremony for Brown-Forman's Slane Castle Irish whiskey distillery this week, the talk among a few of the guests was about why the company - which outlined heritage as an important factor when it comes to targeting new consumers - hadn't chosen to buy a moth-balled distillery with a ready-made history.
Irish whiskey exports will double by 2020, the Irish Food Board has forecast, with the segment growing its sales abroad by high single-digits in 2016.
Irish company Drioglann Shliabh Liag has been granted planning permission to build a distillery and visitor centre in the north-west of the country.
Quintessential Brands has announced the management team for new Irish operations The Dublin Liberties Distillery.
Quintessential Brands has launched a second iteration in the Liberties range of Irish whiskies from its recently-acquired Dublin Whiskey Co unit.
The Irish Brewers Association has said beer exports from the country were up 16% in 2015, with a value of EUR265m (US$300m).
Pernod Ricard's Irish unit is to invest EUR11m (US$12.3m) in the redevelopment of its Old Jameson Distillery in Dublin, as it looks to capitalise on the growth of Irish whiskey.
The Coca-Cola Co has issued an apology over online adverts for its Sprite brand, which formed part of the Brutally Refreshing campaign in Ireland.
Quintessential Brands has agreed to acquire a third of the Tempted Irish Cider business as it looks to increase its presence in Ireland.
Halewood Wines & Spirits has acquired a holding in Irish whiskey producer West Cork Distillers, four months after buying a 50% holding in the firm's The Pogues brand.
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the completion of the divestment of its Paddy Irish whiskey brand to Sazerac.
Does this picture, taken today, show a turning point in the history of Irish whiskey?
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits