India: Latest beverage news & analysis
It's not every day that one can accuse the world's biggest spirits producer of being a bit stupid, but my peers in India are making hay today, doing just that. But, before wading in against Diageo and the call by its United Spirits unit in India for chairman Vijay Mallya to stand down, ask yourself this one question: What difference does it make?
Finally, after a near four-month delay United Spirits reported its full-year results today.
Finally, after almost 20 months, Diageo has got what it initially wanted in India. The company today (2 July) confirmed it now holds the majority of shares in United Spirits. This achievement, however, has cost way more than Diageo initially expected; to the tune of around US$1bn.
As expected, Diageo has stepped up its bid to take majority control of India’s United Spirits Ltd (USL). The UK-headquartered company has launched a tender offer for a further 26% stake in the UB Group unit, which, if successful would raise its stake to around 55%.
A survey of consumers in India has revealed that alcoholic beverages may have the most to gain from high levels of optimism in the country.
Heineken has declined to comment on a report it is looking to take control of India's United Breweries (UB).
International Beverage Holdings has rolled out three of its single malt Scotch whisky brands across India.
Diageo-controlled United Spirits has said it will not dump its mass brands after revealing it is to focus on just 15 “power brands” to fuel premium growth.
The new owner of Goan lager brand King’s Black Label, India's Viiking Group, is set to roll out the brand across the country.
Indian whiskey producer Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) has appointed a former Diageo employee as its new MD & CEO, according to local reports.
Sula Vineyards has launched what it claims is India’s first premium grape brandy - Janus.
Heineken has bought United Spirits' remaining stake in India's United Breweries (UB) for INR8.72bn (US$137.2m).
Tilaknagar Industries is preparing to cede majority control to Indian whiskey rival Allied Blenders & Distillers, a report has claimed.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has said it plans to assess standards for alcoholic beverages, according to a report in Business Today India.
Pernod Ricard has confirmed that Guillaume Girard-Reydet, currently managing director of Pernod Ricard Wyborowa, and of Central Europe, will be appointed managing director of Pernod Ricard India.
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research