India: Latest beverage news & analysis
It's not every day that one can accuse the world's biggest spirits producer of being a bit stupid, but my peers in India are making hay today, doing just that. But, before wading in against Diageo and the call by its United Spirits unit in India for chairman Vijay Mallya to stand down, ask yourself this one question: What difference does it make?
Finally, after a near four-month delay United Spirits reported its full-year results today.
Finally, after almost 20 months, Diageo has got what it initially wanted in India. The company today (2 July) confirmed it now holds the majority of shares in United Spirits. This achievement, however, has cost way more than Diageo initially expected; to the tune of around US$1bn.
As expected, Diageo has stepped up its bid to take majority control of India’s United Spirits Ltd (USL). The UK-headquartered company has launched a tender offer for a further 26% stake in the UB Group unit, which, if successful would raise its stake to around 55%.
A survey of consumers in India has revealed that alcoholic beverages may have the most to gain from high levels of optimism in the country.
The new owner of Goan lager brand King’s Black Label, India's Viiking Group, is set to roll out the brand across the country.
Indian whiskey producer Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) has appointed a former Diageo employee as its new MD & CEO, according to local reports.
Sula Vineyards has launched what it claims is India’s first premium grape brandy - Janus.
Heineken has bought United Spirits' remaining stake in India's United Breweries (UB) for INR8.72bn (US$137.2m).
Tilaknagar Industries is preparing to cede majority control to Indian whiskey rival Allied Blenders & Distillers, a report has claimed.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has said it plans to assess standards for alcoholic beverages, according to a report in Business Today India.
Pernod Ricard has confirmed that Guillaume Girard-Reydet, currently managing director of Pernod Ricard Wyborowa, and of Central Europe, will be appointed managing director of Pernod Ricard India.
Diageo's India MD has moved to United Spirits to head up a new luxury unit at the Diageo-controlled company.
Diageo has declined to comment on an Indian government investigation into United Spirit's books as fresh reports emerge over the subsidiary’s chairman, Vijay Mallya, and alleged loans made from the unit.
Tata Global Beverages has posted a sharp drop in net profits after impairment charges in China and Eastern Europe hit the bottom line.
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research