India: Latest beverage news & analysis
It's not every day that one can accuse the world's biggest spirits producer of being a bit stupid, but my peers in India are making hay today, doing just that. But, before wading in against Diageo and the call by its United Spirits unit in India for chairman Vijay Mallya to stand down, ask yourself this one question: What difference does it make?
Finally, after a near four-month delay United Spirits reported its full-year results today.
Finally, after almost 20 months, Diageo has got what it initially wanted in India. The company today (2 July) confirmed it now holds the majority of shares in United Spirits. This achievement, however, has cost way more than Diageo initially expected; to the tune of around US$1bn.
As expected, Diageo has stepped up its bid to take majority control of India’s United Spirits Ltd (USL). The UK-headquartered company has launched a tender offer for a further 26% stake in the UB Group unit, which, if successful would raise its stake to around 55%.
A survey of consumers in India has revealed that alcoholic beverages may have the most to gain from high levels of optimism in the country.
Diageo is reviewing its relationship with United Breweries Holdings and Vijay Mallya over India's United Spirits, after the division's board called on the entrepreneur to stand down as its chairman.
Pathai Murali, the CFO of Diageo-controlled United Spirits, has resigned from the Indian company.
The Coca-Cola Co has seen the ongoing issue of groundwater use in India hit its plans to build a bottling plant in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.
Amrut Distilleries has launched what it claims is the world’s first single malt whisky that carries orange notes.
PepsiCo has started production at its largest beverage plant in India after company CEO Indra Nooyi inaugurated the site.
The High Court in the Indian state of Kerala has upheld a ban on bars and hotels serving spirits.
India's Sula Vineyards has benefited from bad weather in its home state, with the company taking delivery of a large amount of cut-price, storm-damaged grapes.
Tilaknagar Industries has declined to comment on speculation that it is looking to sell some of its brands to South Africa’s Distell Group, but admitted it is still eyeing tie-ups.
Pernod Ricard has confirmed that its India unit has increased its banking overdraft facility, but has declined to give a specific reason for the move.
Accolade Wines has recruited ex-cricketer Glenn McGrath to promote its Hardys wine brand in India.
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets