China: Latest beverage news & analysis
Looking through the mist, Chris Losh can see China's wine production efforts becoming of greater importance to the wine world than the country's potential to consume the stuff.
Ask a Chinese person about Chile and they will immediately mention one thing - cherries. The country is famous in China for its red cherries, which people see as wholesome and healthy. Chilean wine, however, is quickly catching up in the recognition stakes. According to Wines of Chile, exports to China increased by 47% last year, and the country now ranks as the third-biggest market for bottled Chilean wine.
China Resources Beer, the joint-owner of Snow with SABMiller, released its full-year results for 2015 this week. The company will soon gain full control of Snow after it agreed a deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev this month, so here's a low-down on the brand, using data from CR Beer's investors presentation.
For a company dead set on becoming the biggest in its field – and reportedly beyond – Anheuser-Busch InBev's decision to sell off SABMiller's stake in China's CR Snow to JV partner China Resources Beer looks more like a step backwards - and a very cheap one at that.
Considering the disparity of performances from Cognac brand owners in China, I've been looking at what's really happening within the country, and have been talking to some brands about their varying strategies and view of future prospects. First, let's look at the numbers.
Carlsberg is the "logical buyer" for Asahi's Tsingtao stake if the 20% interest goes on sale, an analyst has said.
China's low-value beer volumes could drop further, Carlsberg CEO Cees 't Hart has told just-drinks.
Chilean winemaker Santa Rita Estates has continued to reshape its distribution footprint with a new agreement in China.
Australian wine is grabbing market share in China as buoyant export sales last year outpaced overall value growth in the country.
China's thirst for top-end Cognac is returning, according to Pernod Ricard's luxury & customer relationship management director.
Treasury Wine Estates has secured victory in its long-running legal row in China over the trademarking of the Chinese name for Penfolds.
Monster Beverage Corp could add as much as a quarter to its global sales by 2020 through its entry to the Chinese market, an analyst has said.
Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits has confirmed to just-drinks that its distribution configuration, announced earlier this week, will also see the group enter China for the first time.
The Coca-Cola Co's China unit has said it wants its employees to have talks with the company through "appropriate channels" after staff reportedly staged walkouts at three of its production plants.
The Coca-Cola Co is to rake in about US$1bn from a franchising deal for its China assets with two Asia-based bottlers.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September.
Tennis player Novak Djokovic was on top of the world yesterday after defeating Andy Murray in four sets to take the Australian Open title.
A joint US and Chinese study released this week found that a tea made with broccoli sprouts helps the body to break down and expunge high levels of the chemical benzene.
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends