AUS: Woolworths buys stake in Gage Roads brewer
Australian retailer Woolworths is to take a 25% stake in boutique brewer Gage Roads as part of a 350,000 case annual supply deal.
Woolworths - unconnected with the collapsed UK retailer or South African chains of the same name - will pay AUS1.9m (US$1.4m) to Gage via a private placement.
The funds will be used to increase Gage's capacity from 300,000 to 400,000 cases per year in order to supply Woolworths with a so-far unnamed private label beer.
"It's a very good quality-tasting beer - we haven't made a beer at Gage Roads that hasn't won an international award," said Gage CEO Nick Hayler.
The beer will be Woolworths' second private label brew, following last year's launch of Platinum Blonde, a reduced-carbohydrate product made under licence by Independent Liquor.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts