AUS: Wolf Blass attacks wine "parasites" - report
Wolf Blass is owned by Treasury Wine Estates
The founder of Treasury Wine Estates (TWE) label Wolf Blass has branded small Australian wineries “parasites” and New Zealand the “black sheep” of the industry, according to a report.
Wolfgang Blass told an American Chamber of Commerce forum last week that Australia's wine makers should contribute to a marketing fund to share the burden of reviving the country's overseas reputation, The Australian reported today (19 August). Blass accused too many smaller labels of enjoying a free ride from bigger producers.
“We should have a levy on most winemakers,” he said. “There are a lot of parasites in this country who don't contribute to the marketing of their product.”
Blass also said New Zealand wineries have “flooded” the Australian market while claiming AUD30m (US$27.5m) in rebates.
“The black sheep are the New Zealanders,” Blass reportedly said.
“We pay them a rebate and import their product... the tax is hurting us: we need the AUD30m to promote our product overseas.”
Blass reportedly told the forum that Australian wines are facing difficulties internationally because they have lost their reputation for quality due to heavy discounting.
TWE is sponsoring The Ashes cricket series in England, through its Wolf Blass brand, and last month signed up two former England cricket captains for a TV push.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India