GEORGIA/RUSSIA: Winemakers realistic as export ban set to be lifted - report
Georgia winemakers are gearing up to begin exports to Russia again
Georgian winemakers are aiming to export up to 10m bottles a year to Russia as a seven-year ban looks set to be lifted, according to reports.
Russia's sanitary agency Rospotrebnadzor last week gave the go-ahead for 36 Geogian wineries and four water producers to register their products in Russia, Hvino News reported. Georgia and Moldova wine imports to Russia have been banned since 2006 after Russian authorities claimed some of the former countries' wines contained pesticides.
Levan Davitashvili, head of the National Wine Agency of Georgia was quoted as saying that the country hoped to export an estimated 8-10m bottles a year to Russia, with the lifting of the embargo. “This is equivalent to about 25% of the overall amount of Georgia’s wine exports,” he said. Georgia currently exports its wines to 40 countries. Russia previously accounted for around 80% of all Georgian wine sales before the ban.
A total of 93 Georgian companies have applied to start selling their products in Russia and a second round of inspections by the Russian authorities are expected later this month.
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Travel Retail model "not sustainable" - Pernod CEO
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts