US: Wine surpasses beer in Gallup poll
Americans are for the first time showing a preference for wine over beer, according to a Gallup poll. The survey showed 39% of US drinkers usually consume wine, with 36% drinking beer. In 1992, the figures were 27% and 47%, respectively. A total of 63% of Americans said they drink alcohol.
Wine's gain comes at beer's loss. Although beer remains a favourite among almost half of adults between 18 and 29, that figure slipped over the past decade as those preferring spirits more than doubled to 32%.
The number of 30- to 49-year-olds who consume beer also fell from 48% in the early 1990s to 40% as more switched to wine or spirits. The percentage of beer drinkers over 50 held steady at 30% as wine drinkers grew to 45%; spirits was the loser in this category.
Sex and ethnicity were also important, as more men and minorities switched from beer to wine, Gallup said.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends