TRAVEL RETAIL: Wine, spirits FY volumes up despite Brazil slowdown
Sales volumes increased by 4%
A stuttering Brazil pulled back global travel retail wines & spirits sales last year but the category continued to find strong growth as Africa and the Middle East surged, a new survey has shown.
Wines & spirits volumes rose by 4% year-on-year, hitting 29.1m cases, according to the IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013. In 2012, spirits again outperformed wine, growing volume by 5.2% compared to a 1% increase for wine.
A year prior spirits grew by 10% as wine stayed flat.
The strongest growth last year was in Africa and the Middle East, where volumes jumped by 13.7% because of a rebound in North Africa's tourism market after 2011's civil unrest, IWSR said.
Meanwhile, Brazil, the Americas’ biggest duty free market, posted a decline in volumes. The country last year saw decreases in consumer spending that has affected most multinational beverage firms in the country.
However, after Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 results last month, analysts suggested Brazil's market is back on track, while in June, Brown-Forman posted a 23% FY increase in net sales in the country.
Europe posted the biggest jump in volumes - 431,000 cases - for travel retail wines & spirits as Central and Eastern Europe propped up Western Europe, IWSR said. Volumes declined in the Nordic countries, the region’s biggest market.
Diageo appointed a new head of travel retail last month, Doug Bagley, after Roland Abella quit.
The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013
The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013 summarises the data and trends in the annual IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Database. In a series of tables and charts, it provides analysis on the o...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets