NORWAY: Wine, spirits firm Arcus mulls V&S bid
Norwegian wine and spirits group Arcus is mulling a takeover bid for Sweden's V&S Group, just-drinks can reveal.
Ratos, the Sweden-based private equity group that owns Arcus, said the company could make an offer for V&S, excluding its flagship vodka brand Absolut.
Ratos senior investment manager Leif Johanson said today (11 January): "Ratos and Arcus are discussing a new strategy that would focus on the development of local brands. We are open to looking at the possibility of acquiring V&S, but our interest is only in the V&S operations and brands that exclude Absolut."
V&S is among eight state-owned Swedish companies slated for privatisation by 2011. An insider in the Swedish Finance Ministry said the plan is to privatise V&S within the next 18 months.
"Arcus would be considered a very strong contender. Constellation Brands is being linked to a possible bid on Absolut. It is reasonable to expect that V&S' privatisation process will attract a lot more global interest," the insider said.
Ratos bought Arcus, whose stable of brands includes Linie aquavit, Braastad Cognac and Vikingfjord vodka, in 2005.
There has rarely been dull moment in recent years for anyone concerned with Stolichnaya, with a long-running rights dispute over the brand name, a switch to bottling the brand outside Russia and the t...
With interest surrounding the likely sale of Swedish spirits producer V&S Group growing by the day, there could be no better time to look at the company's flagship vodka brand Absolut and the opportun...
The European Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel has unveiled the detailed plans for reform of the European wine sector, following a year of consultation. As expected, there has been some wa...
The drinks industry has not been immune from the growing influence of private equity groups (PEGS) in the corporate world. Critics argue that PEGs hark back to the worst excesses of 1980s corporate gr...
Carlsberg has shown an interest in Vin & Sprit, the makers of Absolut vodka, after the Swedish government sanctioned the sale of the wine and spirits company....
Scotch whisky firm Whyte & Mackay's group managing director has resigned....
The Swedish government has not ruled out splitting up Vin & Sprit prior to a sell-off, according to local reports....
California energy drinks company Who's Your Daddy has said it expects net revenues for the second quarter of more than US$800,000, representing an increase of 384% from the same period last year, and ...
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Kirin eyes expansion after Byron Bay Brewing buy
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?