FRANCE: Wine plan knocked for Web vagaries
A proposed five year modernisation plan for France's wine sector, unveiled late last week, is being cautiously welcomed by the industry, although its failure to address recent uncertainties over the legality of wine on the web has been queried.
The main aim of the proposal, drawn up by the country's Agriculture Ministry, is to win back market share from international competitors by simplifying production and marketing. One of the most significant elements of the proposal, to be signed into law by August 2009, will be three new categories for French wines.
The most innovative will be the 'Wines of France' label, which will show the grape variety on the label, and use many cheaper production techniques pioneered by the New World, including adding wood chips, tannins and concentrated grape juice.
Wine sector professionals remain wary, however, of any suggestions in the plan that power over production decisions be centralised, and said its failure to clarify whether wine sales and promotions on the web are legal in France or not, rendered any idea of modernisation pointless.
The CEO of Constellation Europe has warned that the alcoholic drinks market is facing a "bloody" Christmas in the UK....
Russia's wine market has been thrust into the spotlight in the last couple of weeks, following news that Constellation Brands plans to significantly increase sales in the country....
Constellation Brands is looking to double its wine sales in Russia over the next three years, after appointing a permanent sales director in the country....
Diageo Ireland has entered into agreements to acquire a 73-acre greenfield site in Leixlip, Co. Kildare, with the intention to build a brewery....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets