CANADA: Wine industry eyes opportunity as vineyard numbers grow
Canada's wineries have grown in total since 2005
Canada's CAD6.8bn (US$6.6bn) wine industry has major potential for growth as drinkers move away from spirits and beer, according to a new report.
The study - Canada’s Wine Economy – Ripe Robust Remarkable – published yesterday (March 5) revealed that the number of wineries in Canada between 2005 and 2011 grew by 27% to 476. Domestic wine represents 30% of total wine sales, while imported products are 70% of sales.
“Wine consumption in Canada continues to grow as many Canadians are reaching for a glass of wine over spirits or beer,” said the Canadian Vintners Association, which co-commissioned the report.
Among the other findings were:
- Canadians drink more than 1bn glasses - or 220m bottles - of wine produced by the Canadian wine industry each year
- Canadian wine industry production has an annual national economic impact of CAD6.8bn
- The wine and grape industry is responsible for "more than" 31,000 jobs in Canada
- Wine-related tourism attracts "more than" 3m visitors each year, generating around $1.2bn annually in tourism and employment
- The wine industry generates $1.2bn in federal and provincial tax revenue and liquor board mark up.
Dan Paszkowski, president of the Canadian Vintners Association, said: “The large and growing economic impact of Canada’s wine and grape industry is very compelling and will continue to spread across many sectors of the economy.”
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review