S AFRICA: Wine firms get sustainability seal
The new sustainability seal for South Africa's wine companies
The South African Wine and Spirit Board has launched a “sustainability seal” for the country's wine producers.
The organisation issued the seal, which is limited to wineries with Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) accreditation, late last month. Effective from the 2010 vintage, the voluntary scheme allows wineries with IPW accreditation to “show their commitment to protecting the environment and producing wine in harmony with nature”.
The label, intended for bottled wine only, is backed by a tracking system that can trace the contents of the bottle back to source, at any stage of the supply chain, to “confirm the integrity” of the respective wine firms' production, the board said.
Around 50% of South Africa's wine producers are expected to make use of the seal for the 2010 vintage, according to the board, with that figure projected to increase to 80% by 2011.
“Although other countries are introducing similar initiatives ... , at this stage South Africa is the only country that has the means to implement and certify the concept across the entire industry,” said Su Birch, CEO of Wines of South Africa.
IPW accreditation was introduced in South Africa in 1998.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts