UK: William Grant & Sons silent on distillery talk
William Grant set to invest in Tullamore Dew
William Grant & Sons has declined to comment on speculation that it may build a distillery for its newly- acquired Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey brand.
William Grant will gain Tullamore Dew as part of its EUR300m (US$399.4m) deal to acquire the spirits and liqueurs division of Ireland's C&C Group, announced last week.
Speculation has arisen that William Grant, which already owns Scotch brands Grant's and Glenfiddich, may look to build a distillery in Ireland for Tullamore Dew.
C&C Group, without a distillery of its own, had contracted out production of the whiskey, partly to Pernod Ricard-owned Irish Distillers and partly to Cooley. The arrangement has been part of the group's strategy to generate strong cashflow off a light asset base in its spirits division, which also includes Carolans Irish cream liqueur and Italian liqueur Frangelico.
A spokesperson for William Grant told just-drinks that the privately-owned firm is unable to comment on investment plans until the deal has been completed.
William Grant CEO Stella David said last week that Tullamore Dew will be a core brand for the group and that the Irish whiskey sector is "highly desirable". She added that Grant will "invest in and grow the value of these brands over the long-term”.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- This week in spirits & wine
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts