UK: Whyte & Mackay, Capstone settle John Barr legal row
Whyte & Mackay and Capstone International have terminated their US distribution deal for John Barr
Whyte and Mackay has confirmed to just-drinks that it has settled its legal dispute with Capstone International over the terms of their US distribution deal for the John Barr Scotch whisky brand.
In September last year, the row between the two was lined up to be considered by Scotland's Court of Sessions. While Whyte & Mackay was looking to terminate its 16-year-old agreement with Capstone, after accusing the company of operating without the necessary US Federal licences, Capstone was looking for up to US$10m in damages after accusing the Scotch whisky group of breaching the terms of their distribution agreement.
In a brief statement today (14 April), the two companies said they have “amicably settled” their litigation.
“As part of the settlement both parties have agreed to terminate the distribution agreement between them relating to the John Barr brands,” the two said.
Remaining terms of the settlement have been deemed confidential.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Whyte & Mackay declined to provide details about who would be distributing the John Barr portfolio in the US going forward. “Further details will be intimated soon,” the spokesperson said.
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends