UK: Watchdog rejects complaint over Pernod Ricard's Absolut Vodka bottle designs
Click through to view the design
The London Absolut bottle, launched in February, was designed by graphic artist Jamie Hewlett and featured seven "iconic characters" in cartoon form, who have defined London culture.
Charity Alcohol Concern, which lodged the complaint, said the characters featured were in "graphic novel style" and had a strong appeal to children.
But the Portman Group's independent complaints panel threw out the complaint on the basis that the "illustrative style did not automatically mean they would appeal to under-18s".
Henry Ashworth, the Portman Group's chief executive, said: "The panel has ruled that Absolut London has not broken responsibility rules and the company worked to ensure that the characters did not appear to be under 25. "
He added: "We advise all producers to be vigilant in developing campaigns and in conveying the alcoholic nature of their products and to contact the Portman Group for pre-launch advice at the earliest stage.”
There's a seminal moment in the film Manhattan when Woody Allen turns to his girlfriend and says: "Relationships are like sharks: they have to move forwards in order to survive. And what we have on ou...
What do Bacardi, Diageo and Pernod Ricard have in common? Aside from the obvious, Ian Buxton proffers that they share the same problem when it comes to Bourbon, and that's their lack of it....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research