UK: Watchdog bans Brown-Forman Southern Comfort ad
A television advert for Southern Comfort has been banned by the UK's advertising watchdog for linking alcohol consumption to a successful evening.
Southern Comfort owner Brown-Forman must not show the advert again, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said in its ruling, published on Wednesday (29 October).
The watchdog received four complaints about the advert, which showed a group of friends dancing and posing for a photograph in a bar with glasses of Southern Comfort. A strapline for the ad read: "For picture perfect nights, please drink responsibly."
The ASA ruled that viewers would link the first part of this strapline with previous scenes of people enjoying themselves with Southern Comfort. "We concluded that the ad suggested the success of the social occasion depended on the presence and consumption of alcohol," it said.
Its ruling is a blow to Brown-Forman, which has been at the forefront of industry efforts in the UK to actively promote responsible drinking.
Brown-Forman argued that the advert never "explicity showed alcohol being consumed" and that the strapline was intended to link enjoyment with responsible drinking.
"The phrase 'picture perfect' was intended to link the message of responsible drinking to the ad's previous scenes, which culminated in a photograph of the friends enjoying themselves being stuck on a pin board as a memento of happy times," the US-based company said.
New guidelines have just been introduced by the European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) regarding online media. However, while the guidelines enhance the self-regulatory framework of the spirit...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has lined up a further multi-million dollar investment in one of its bottling facilities in the US....
Global Brands has launched a low calorie, low alcohol variant of its UK flagship RTD brand, VK Vodka Kick....
Duty tax on alcoholic drinks will rise by 2%, UK Chancellor Alistair Darling has announced in his Budget Speech, to the dismay of drinks trade bodies....
The CEO of Alcohol Concern used a spirits industry conference to call on the UK government yesterday (20 April) to intervene on drinks prices in the country....
The Patrón Spirits Company has secured distribution for its spirits portfolio in Lebanon....
Brown-Forman is to cut 6% of its global workforce as part of a US$25m cost savings programme made necessary by the economic downturn, the US spirits firm has said....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends