LIWF 2013 - UK: Visitor numbers down, but positive signs for 2014
This was the show's last year at London's ExCeL centre
Visitor numbers at this year's London International Wine Fair (LIWF) fell year-on-year as organisers branded it "the most challenging show to date".
Attendees over the three days at ExCeL "topped" 10,200, down on last year's 13,431, organisers Brintex said today (24 May). However, the company said the number beat its "reduced target" of 10,000, based on the number of exhibitors this year.
"There is no doubt that 2013 has been the most challenging show to date and it is no secret that there were setbacks earlier this year when a handful of key exhibitors pulled out," said Ross Carter, the event's director. High-profile exhibitor no-shows this year included Liberty, Bibendum and Enotria.
But Carter added that exhibitors at the show this week reported a "very rewarding fair".
Looking ahead to next year, he said: "A good number of companies who have not had a presence over the last three years have either committed to, or made positive comments about a return next year."
From next year, the LIWF will be known as the London Wine Fair and moves back to London's Olympia in West Kensington. It takes place from 2-4 June.
To access a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of this year's show, click here
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China