FRANCE: Vinexpo eyes return to US
The chairman of the world's largest wine exhibition, Vinexpo, has told just-drinks that organisers would consider an expansion into the US.
Vinexpo may one day return to the US in recognition of the country's importance to the wine world, Xavier de Eizaguirre told just-drinks in an interview today (14 January).
Vinexpo is held bi-annually in Bordeaux, where it was founded in 1981, but recent years have seen the show also set up in Asia, first in Japan and then Hong Kong.
Growing wine markets in different areas of the world mean that the Vinexpo brand must have a more global outlook, although Bordeaux will remain the main exhibition.
De Eizaguirre declined to put a timetable on a possible move into the US, but added: "The US is becoming the largest market in the world in terms of production and even consumption."
Vinexpo first tried to cross the Atlantic Ocean in 2002, when it organised a show in New York, but has not returned following criticism of the idea from exhibitors.
De Eizaguirre said that, while a return to the US was possible, there would be no expansion beyond that. "The problem is that people cannot do everything. You cannot ask big companies to become just exhibitors."
The year ending in an odd number can mean only one thing. In June, the wine sector will be migrating en masse to Bordeaux for Vinexpo. Chris Mercer spoke with Xavier de Eizaguirre, managing director o...
Late last month, just-drinks reported that, according to the head of Vinexpo, the internet would never become an alternative to traditional sales circuits for wine. Try telling that to the e-commerce ...
Vinexpo, the world's largest wine trade show, attracted 7.5% less visitors in 2009, according to official figures....
A GBP1.3m (US$2.1m) promotion campaign has been launched in the US by the trade body responsible for wines from the South West of France....
Oeneo, the French wine closures company, is preparing a push on its Diam closure in the US wine market....
The head of the world's largest wine trade show has dismissed the internet as a marginal sales platform....
CL WorldBrands has launched Hine Antique XO Cognac at this week's Vinexpo wine show, putting its faith in Cognac lovers' willingness to continue spending money on luxury drinks in the economic downtur...
Visitor figures for the Vinexpo wine show held in Bordeaux this week are down by around 5%, according to initial estimates....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research