UK: Vijay Mallya's son joins Whyte & Mackay
The son of Vijay Mallya, the billionaire owner of India's UB Group, is to work for the firm's Scotch whisky subsidiary, Whyte & Mackay.
Siddharth Mallya will be joining Whyte & Mackay in a sales and marketing role from this month, a spokesperson for the company confirmed to just-drinks today (2 February).
The move will fuel speculation that Siddharth is being groomed for a future senior role within his father's UB Group, which owns United Spirits and United Breweries - India's leading alcoholic drinks firms.
Mallya has joined Whyte & Mackay after spending a year in Diageo's marketing team, as part of the drinks giant's graduate training scheme. He will remain based in London.
"He will be looking after sales, marketing and business development for high end hotels and restaurants in London and the surrounding area," said a Whyte & Mackay spokesperson.
India's drinks industry was not harmed badly by the recession, with domestic sales of soft drinks and juice production all growing steadily throughout 2009, according to a recent Euromonitor report. I...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research