INDIA: United Spirits toasts growing wine sales - report
United Spirits owner Vijay Mallya sees more Indian women drinking wine
The head of United Spirits, Vijay Mallya, has said that the company needs to increase its bottling capacity to serve a growing number of wine consumers in its native India.
Billionaire Mallya told a press conference yesterday (29 September) that India's wine market has a "pretty bright future" due to the growing number of women taking an interest in the sector. His comments were reported by India's Business Standard newspaper.
Mallya said that United Spirits would seek to ramp up its own bottling capacity to meet higher demand and reduce its reliance on less profitable contract bottling. He added that United Spirits plans to begin exporting its Four Seasons wine under the 'Ritu' brand name within the next couple months.
United Spirits is the second largest spirits producer by volume in the world, courtesy of India's taste for whisky. However, India's wine market has been on a rollercoaster ride in the last few years, dogged by the financial demise of industry pioneer Indage Vintners.
Wine sales have struggled in the last two years and producers complain that they are constrained by inter-state regulations.
India is still a fledgling market, with only an estimated 1.5m cases sold in the last year, of which roughly 20% is imported. However, despite regulatory and financial problems, consumption is still expected to rise to 4m cases by 2015.
For more information, click here.
United Spirits has said that it expects to acquire control of India's Pioneer Distilleries by early February....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Leelex to open Portobello Road gin distillery
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends