INDIA: United Spirits takes control of Sovereign Distilleries
United Spirits acquires control of Sovereign Distilleries
United Spirits has acquired a further 20% stake in Sovereign Distilleries, taking its shareholding in the spirits group above 50%.
United Spirits said late last week that it has bought another 19.99% in Sovereign Distilleries, taking its total sharheolding in the group to 61.53%. The deal means that Sovereign becomes a subsidiary of United Spirits, which is part of Vijay Mallya's UB Group and accounts for around two thirds of India's spirits market by volume.
Sovereign is based in the southern state of Karnataka. Financial details behind the transaction were not disclosed.
Reports out of the country earlier this year linked United Spirits with a full takeover of Sovereign for a reported INR2.3bn (US$51.7m). The company said at the time that it is keen to increase its supply base for Extra Neutral Alcohol (ENA).
In January, United Spirits lined up the full purchase of Pioneer Distilleries, which has a distillery near Nanded in Maharashtra, east of Mumbai.
United Spirits has said that it will use foreign currency convertible bonds to raise cash to pay down high interest-bearing debt....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas....
Bisleri International is to open a chain of retail outlets across India for its bottled water products, in a bid to push back rival brands, according to a report....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits