GLOBAL: Top producers eye progress on alcohol-harm reduction
ICAP is backing the report
The world's biggest alcohol companies have pledged to accelerate work to address alcohol misuse after releasing a joint report described as a “foundation” for progress.
Thirteen firms, including Anheuser-Busch InBev, Diageo and Pernod Ricard, have combined to tackle global alcohol-harm, signing a series of commitments in 2012. This week's report is the group's first and highlights progress made across areas such as education and marketing.
“We have learned a great deal over the past year, and we are using that knowledge to inform, strengthen, and accelerate our efforts moving forward in a fully transparent process,” said Rick Wilson, chairman of the International Center for Alcohol Policies (ICAP) and senior VP for external affairs & corporate responsibility with Bacardi-Martini. The programme was first announced at ICAP's 'Global Actions: Initiatives to Reduce Harmful Drinking conference in October 2012.
Achievements recorded in the new report include:
- Ran 135 education programs across the world aimed at preventing and reducing underage drinking.
- Determined through an analysis in seven countries that more than 96% of producer advertising is compliant with the “70/30 rule” under which advertising is placed in media where at least 70% of the audience is of legal drinking age
- Found that none of the signatories’ products contained excessive quantities of stimulants
Mark Leverton, director general of the Global Alcohol Producers Group, said: “The commitments represent the most ambitious and comprehensive initiative the producers have ever undertaken together to address harmful drinking. As the report demonstrates, 2013 laid the groundwork for impactful action in the next four years.”
The next report is due to be released next year.
The companies making the commitments comprise:
Global Spirits Market: News and Events December 2013
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
There was general agreement among analysts that Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q1 results yesterday were better than expected....
Bacardi Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed SWOT...
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review