Product Launch – UK: The Sazerac Co's HDW CLIX Vodka
Click through to view The Sazerac Co's HDW CLIX Vodka
Sazerac's HDW CLIX Vodka
Category - Spirits, vodka, 40% abv
Available - From this month
Location - UK, on- and off-trade
Price - RRP of GBP299 (US$462) per 75cl bottle
Distribution - Hi-Spirits
The Sazerac Co is following the US launch of its HDW CLIX vodka with a UK roll-out this month.
The name HDW CLIX is derived from the initials of Sazerac's master distiller, Harlen Davis Wheatley, and the Roman numerals for 159, the number of times it was distilled.
When contacted by just-drinks today (20 February), a spokesperson for Hi-Spirits confirmed that a total of 30 bottles will be available in the UK.
Late last year, Sazerac acquired the Gran Gala liqueur brand from Stock Spirits for an undisclosed amount.
Hi-Spirits has launched a limited edition ultra-pure vodka into the UK market. Distilled 159 times, HDW CLIX is the latest creation by Harlen Wheatley, master distiller at the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky.
With Buffalo Trace already noted for its experimental bourbons, fuelled by Wheatley’s conviction that the word’s best bourbon has yet to be produced, the award-winning distillery believes HDW CLIX is as close to the “perfect vodka” as can be achieved.
HDW CLIX is named for Harlen Davis Wheatley’s initials and the Roman numerals for 159, the number of times it was distilled.
The recipe use red winter wheat, rye, distiller’s grade corn and distiller’s malted barley, combined with the distillery’s own source of limestone-rich water. The original 28,400 gallons of mash, repeatedly re-distilled over twelve months, resulted in 332 gallons of vodka. The final product was stored in a cool tank for 12 more months before just 2,000 bottles were filled.
“This project has been a long time in the making and we’re pleased to see it finally come to fruition,” said Wheatley. “With four different grains, multiple recipes and 159 separate distillations, the complexity is balanced and markedly pure.”
HDW CLIX comes in a custom-made crystal decanter, packaged in a wooden case, with both a travel stopper to protect the liquid in transit, and a crystal stopper for display.
Hi-Spirits, which distributes the Buffalo Trace bourbon range, has a strictly limited allocation of HDW CLIX for the UK market with an RRP of £299. Jeremy Hill, chairman of Hi-Spirits, said: “Understandably, the interest we’re getting is from top end bars and specialist drinks retailers.
“Some bars want to serve HDW CLIX in a premium cocktail, while retailers expect it to appeal to collectors. It will definitely be a talking point for customers, and we don’t expect to have our allocation in stock for very long.”
Original source: Company Release
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research