GLOBAL: The Coca-Cola Co halts ads aimed at under-12s
Coca-Cola said it wants to be part of the solution to obesity
The Coca-Cola Co has promised not to advertise to under-12s as part of a global pledge to fight obesity.
The soft drinks giant said today (8 May) that it will “market responsibly”, while including calorie content and other nutritional information on all of its products. Coca-Cola chairman & CEO Muhtar Kent said the company is “committed to being part of the solution” to obesity.
A Coca-Cola spokesperson told just-drinks the decision to not market to under-12s is not new for the company, "but we are committing today to scale this globally throughout all the 200-plus countries we serve”.
It means Coca-Cola will not buy advertising in programs that have audiences made up of more than 35% under-12s, the spokesperson said. “We are sensitive to the fact that children may also be watching programs with their family, and we make every attempt to ensure that our advertising is appropriate for a general audience,” the spokesperson added.
The firm has also promised to offer low- or no-calorie beverage options and support physical activity programmes in all of its markets.
The pledge is part of Coca-Cola's 127th anniversary celebrations.
According to its annual report, Coca-Cola spent US$3.3bn on advertising last year, the same amount as in 2011. The company is behind some of drinks industry's most well-known marketing campaigns, such as ads featuring Santa Claus in the colours of the Coca-Cola brand. The Coca-Cola spokesperson said no ads will be discontinued because of the pledge.
Asked if PepsiCo will match Coca-Cola's commitment, a spokesperson for the company said: "PepsiCo has global policies in place that restrict marketing to kids, remove full-sugar beverages from schools, and provide clear nutrition labeling. We plan to continue building on our progress."
It is not the first time Coca-Cola has pledged to tackle obesity. In January, the company launched an advert that warned consumers “If you eat and drink more calories than you burn off, you'll gain weight”.
It's always fun for us to write up the opinions of industry observers when they posit that the next wave of consolidation in one sector or another is set to break some time soon....
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
This month, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor looks at the small but booming soft drink sub-category of 'flavour enhancers'; the 21st Century's answer to the squashes and cordials of yore....
The Coca-Cola Co bought 100% of Nidan Soki shares in 2010. Some 75% of these shares were acquired from private equity group Lion Capital, with the remaining 25% acquired from the founders of Nidan Sok...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research