THAILAND: ThaiNamthip signs JV to open Coca-Cola Co bottling plant in Laos - report
The Vientiane plant will distribute Coca-Cola products
Coca-Cola Co Thai bottler ThaiNamthip has formed a JV with a Laos construction company and will open a bottling and distribution plant in the Laotian capital.
The Lao Coca-Cola Bottling Co has US$40m in funds for the first five years and will increase Coca-Cola's footprint in Laos, the company said yesterday (29 November). As part of the deal, Lao Coca-Cola Bottling Co has started distribution in Laos with Coca-Cola products supplied by ThaiNamthip’s plants in Thailand, it said.
ThaiNamthip will own 70% of the new venture and partner PT Construction Co will own 30%, the company said. The planned bottling facility in Vientiane, which will make Coca-Cola products including brand Coca-Cola, Fanta and Sprite, will open in 2014 and employ about 70 people.
Last month, the World Trade Organisation accepted Laos' application to join and the country is expected to become a member early next year.
Coca-Cola is increasing its presence in other Asian regions. In June, the company announced a return to Myanmar following the lifting of US sanctions.
Soft drinks are becoming a target for health campaigners in the same way as tobacco and alcohol are. Increased taxes are now a real threat. But, as Richard Corbett argues, if producers move swiftly th...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Poland warning sends Stock Spirits shares tumbling
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts