THAILAND: ThaiNamthip signs JV to open Coca-Cola Co bottling plant in Laos - report
The Vientiane plant will distribute Coca-Cola products
Coca-Cola Co Thai bottler ThaiNamthip has formed a JV with a Laos construction company and will open a bottling and distribution plant in the Laotian capital.
The Lao Coca-Cola Bottling Co has US$40m in funds for the first five years and will increase Coca-Cola's footprint in Laos, the company said yesterday (29 November). As part of the deal, Lao Coca-Cola Bottling Co has started distribution in Laos with Coca-Cola products supplied by ThaiNamthip’s plants in Thailand, it said.
ThaiNamthip will own 70% of the new venture and partner PT Construction Co will own 30%, the company said. The planned bottling facility in Vientiane, which will make Coca-Cola products including brand Coca-Cola, Fanta and Sprite, will open in 2014 and employ about 70 people.
Last month, the World Trade Organisation accepted Laos' application to join and the country is expected to become a member early next year.
Coca-Cola is increasing its presence in other Asian regions. In June, the company announced a return to Myanmar following the lifting of US sanctions.
Soft drinks are becoming a target for health campaigners in the same way as tobacco and alcohol are. Increased taxes are now a real threat. But, as Richard Corbett argues, if producers move swiftly th...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends