ASIA: ThaiBev agrees to buy 22% stake in Fraser and Neave
Chang brewer ThaiBev has agreed to buy a stake in Fraser and Neave
ThaiBev has agreed to buy a 22% stake in Singapore conglomerate Fraser & Neave (F&N) for SGD2.78bn (US$2.21bn), the company has announced.
In a filing to the Singapore Stock Exchange yesterday (18 July), the Chang brewer said it had reached agreements with Oversea-Banking Chinese Corps (OCBC), Great Eastern Holdings and Lee Rubber Company to buy their stake in the firm. It represents a total of 313,036,775 shares at SGD8.88 each.
In a separate filing, OCBC announced it has agreed to sell its 3.4% stake in Tiger brewer Asia Pacific Breweries (APB), a subsidiary of F&N and a joint-venuture Heineken, to Kindest Place Groups, owned by Chotiphat Bijananda, the son-in-law of ThaiBev's owner Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi. OCBC is also selling its 3.2% stake in F&N.
Great Eastern Holdings, an OCBC subsidiary, is also selling its 4.6% stake in APB to Kindest Place Groups, as part of the deal, and its 14.9% share in F&N to ThaiBev.
The transactions are subject to approval from ThaivBev and OCBC shareholders.
ThaiBev's filing stated: "The proposed investment immediately diversifies the company geographically and is highly complementary to the company's existing single-market focus."
News of a possible deal broke earlier this week. However analysts warned that APB could be broken up if another brewer gains a stake, while Heineken said it was "considering its options".
Hartwall plans to cut up to 8% of its staff and outsource part of its sales work, the Heineken-owned brewer has said....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages