UK: Tesco Attack on Distillers a Smokescreen, Say Analysts
"Damning attack" by retail giant Tesco accusing UK distillers of ripping-off British consumers may be a smokescreen for its own problems, according to an article written by Elliot Lane for just-drinks.com quoting industry analysts.Lane says analysts "believe Tesco is dragging the drinks business into its own war with Asda/Walmart."He quotes Retail Intelligence analyst Brian Roberts as saying: "This reaction seems to be more posturing about the grey market and the latest salvo in the PR war between Asda and Tesco."The idea of rip-off Britain as a key issue for retailers and alcohol and cigarettes are the obvious target. Tesco admitting openly to this sort of behaviour is more a misguided attack on the (UK) Government and the duty laws which retailers see as erroneous," he said.The latest analysis comes after Tesco declared war on UK distilleries and admitted to meetings in "out-of-the-way car parks" in continental Europe to find cheaper deals.Elliot Lane's report goes on to say: "It wasn't so much Tesco's attack on booze prices, which are outrageously high in the UK compared to the rest of Europe, but the tone of its confessional press release."Go to
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020