US: Tequila troubles hit Brown-Forman profit
Brown-Forman, the US drinks group, has blamed a lack of fit and healthy agave plants for a 7% fall in its first quarter profit.
Net profit slid to US$95m for the three months ended 30 June, Brown-Forman (B-F) said today (28 August). Operating profit fell 10% to US$155m.
Blue agave is the main raw ingredient for Tequila. It remained unclear whether B-F's problems had any connection to reports of agave farmers switching their fields to corn, a trend confirmed to just-drinks by the Tequila Regulatory Council this week.
B-F CEO Paul Varga said: "The loss of agave plants has reduced our inventory, but we do not believe this will constrain our ability to build our tequila brands to their full potential."
The problem forced the firm to lower its full-year earnings per share guidance to reflect expected profit growth of between 1% and 8%.
B-F said it increased revenue during the first quarter by 7% to $790m, boosted by double-digit growth from Gentleman Jack and Finlandia vodka. Price rises helped Jack Daniel's to increase sales in mid-single digits, but Southern Comfort declined during the period, due to on-trade weakness, the firm said.
A raft of recent reports looking at the US spirits market have suggested that, while times are tough in the country, they could be a whole lot worse. Chris Mercer takes a closer look at the numbers t...
Brown-Forman said today that Mark McCallum has been named to succeed James L. Bareuther as the company's executive vice president and chief operating officer, from 1 May....
A new dedicated sales force and new product development will drive long-term growth for Beam Global Spirits & Wine, according to Bruce Carbonari, CEO of the Beam parent firm Fortune Brands....
Brown-Forman has lined up a repeat promotional push for its Southern Comfort spirits brand in the UK this month....
Fortune Brands chief executive Bruce Carbonari has said he remains confident that the group's spirits arm, Beam Global Spirits & Wine, can ride out recession, despite a tumble in sales and profit....
Drinks industry body the Portman Group has leapt to the defence of former chief executive Baroness Coussins over her active role in shaping drinks labelling legislation in the House of Lords....
Constellation Brands is set to target "cleaning up" its portfolio going forward....
AV Brands has appointed a vice president for its western region in the US....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research