US: Tequila troubles hit Brown-Forman profit
Brown-Forman, the US drinks group, has blamed a lack of fit and healthy agave plants for a 7% fall in its first quarter profit.
Net profit slid to US$95m for the three months ended 30 June, Brown-Forman (B-F) said today (28 August). Operating profit fell 10% to US$155m.
Blue agave is the main raw ingredient for Tequila. It remained unclear whether B-F's problems had any connection to reports of agave farmers switching their fields to corn, a trend confirmed to just-drinks by the Tequila Regulatory Council this week.
B-F CEO Paul Varga said: "The loss of agave plants has reduced our inventory, but we do not believe this will constrain our ability to build our tequila brands to their full potential."
The problem forced the firm to lower its full-year earnings per share guidance to reflect expected profit growth of between 1% and 8%.
B-F said it increased revenue during the first quarter by 7% to $790m, boosted by double-digit growth from Gentleman Jack and Finlandia vodka. Price rises helped Jack Daniel's to increase sales in mid-single digits, but Southern Comfort declined during the period, due to on-trade weakness, the firm said.
A raft of recent reports looking at the US spirits market have suggested that, while times are tough in the country, they could be a whole lot worse. Chris Mercer takes a closer look at the numbers t...
Brown-Forman said today that Mark McCallum has been named to succeed James L. Bareuther as the company's executive vice president and chief operating officer, from 1 May....
A new dedicated sales force and new product development will drive long-term growth for Beam Global Spirits & Wine, according to Bruce Carbonari, CEO of the Beam parent firm Fortune Brands....
Brown-Forman has lined up a repeat promotional push for its Southern Comfort spirits brand in the UK this month....
Fortune Brands chief executive Bruce Carbonari has said he remains confident that the group's spirits arm, Beam Global Spirits & Wine, can ride out recession, despite a tumble in sales and profit....
Drinks industry body the Portman Group has leapt to the defence of former chief executive Baroness Coussins over her active role in shaping drinks labelling legislation in the House of Lords....
Constellation Brands is set to target "cleaning up" its portfolio going forward....
AV Brands has appointed a vice president for its western region in the US....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- Concha y Toro sees H1 profits, sales jump - result
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review