USA: Teens Should Skip the Soft Drinks and Make More Room for Milk
Guzzling soft drinks and ditching milk may have serious health implications for our nation's teens, according to a new study published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood. By analyzing four food consumption surveys administered between 1965 and 1996 by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the researchers looked at how food intake trends have changed for teens ages 11 to 18. Over the 30-year period, milk consumption has decreased by 36 percent while soft drink and non-citrus juice consumption has steadily increased. The researchers also note that this decline in milk consumption has not been made up for by an increase in other calcium-rich dairy products, which could put teens at serious risk for developing the bone crippling disease, osteoporosis, later in life. "During your teens, nearly half of all bone is formed and about 15 percent of adult height is added, making these years the once in a lifetime opportunity to reach full bone mass and height potential," said Jean Ragalie, R.D., National Dairy Council. "Milk is one of the best natural sources of calcium, not to mention one of the best tasting ways for teens to get it." According to current dietary recommendations, teenagers need 1,300 mg of calcium a day, or the equivalent of about four 8-ounce glasses of milk. Milk also contains vitamin D, which helps the body absorb calcium, and seven other essential nutrients important for growth and development. In addition to the decrease in calcium-rich milk consumption, the study found that teen consumption of fruits and non-potato sources of vegetables has decreased over the 30-year time period as well. Suggested Sidebar:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China